Thursday, September 22, 2011

drink it: not your classic bourbon and ginger

I've just started acquiring a taste for bourbon. However, you won't find me drinking it on the rocks yet. The intense alcohol flavor is still too much for my pallet. I do love bourbon mixed with ginger and a bit of sweetness though. Adding these really helps to bring out the whiskey flavors. The classic is bourbon with a splash of ginger ale. I wanted to experiment though with fresh ginger. I made a tasty ginger simple syrup, but I was thinking it also might be fun to steep some bourbon with ginger too.


Ingredients for one cocktail:
1 shot of bourbon
1/2 shot of ginger simple syrup*
a splash of tonic water

This is so complicated to make. Over ice, pour in bourbon and syrup. Add tonic. Stir.

*Slice up a piece of ginger, and remember, the finer you chop it, the stronger the flavor. Bring one cup of water, one cup of sugar, and ginger pieces to a boil. Don't forget to stir. Remove from heat and let cool. Some may want to strain the ginger pieces out, but not me. I say leave them in and the longer they sit  in the syrup, the more gingery it will get!

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try this. A friend of mine had a similar signature cocktail at her wedding: 1 part bourbon, 1 part tequila (Patron Silver) and 1 part ginger beer, over ice and topped off with a lime.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...