Thursday, September 15, 2011

holy missoni batman

On Tuesday morning I got up extra early, to do the extra early yoga class, so that I could get to Target extra early for the Missoni launch. I have never ever waited outside a store before it opened. But I thought, "Hey, why not? I can read my book in line, if there even is a line, and be there right when it opens to get top Missoni picks." Well, there was a line. It wasn't very long, but what this line lacked it length, it had aggression in abundance. People were counting down the minutes and plotting their attacks on the store. I was actually surprised more people weren't wearing running shoes. As this thought was passing through my brain, the doors of Target flew open, and the masses charged. I immediately recognized my problem: I wasn't working within a team. The savvy shoppers used the divide and conquer technique. My main priority was to get my hands on a throw, a pillow, and a tray, but I also really wanted a scarf to tie around my head and cosmetic bag. Maybe glassware too. And, if I got really lucky, a cardigan, but I wasn't banking on it. However, I soon realized, there was no way to get to all of these items in time as customers went whizzing by me. I set my priorities on the home department and got my throw and tray. The glassware was a bust because it is actually plastic-ware, and I couldn't get my hands on a pillow. By this time everything was cleared out. Nothing Missoni remained. It had only been about 15 minutes. People were hoarding just to hoard, fighting over goods, and abandoning their children to chase after salespeople. After going about some routine shopping (toothpaste, dog food, etc.) I ended up making friends with one of the wise shoppers who was a part of a team. He and one of his companions had mounds of Missoni overflowing out of two shopping carts. He said he was going to get rid of stuff so I hung around and luckily picked up a cardi, cosmetic bag, and pillow. All in all, I had a good time. I got what I came for, and also witnessed examples of primal human behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...