Thursday, October 6, 2011

drink it: super spicy bloody mary

I've never really acquired a taste for Bloody Marys, but my mom was visiting and my husband has been working his butt off. Both love Bloody Marys, so I thought I would make them a special treat. I decided to take it up a notch though by infusing the vodka with jalapenos. According to my mom and Sam, this drink was hot! (I refused to sample it myself because I hate spicy food even more than I hate Bloody Marys.) I think the coolest way to serve this drink though is to have a Bloody Mary Bar. Just put out a variety of Bloody Mary ingredients, and let your guests decide what and how much they want of each. But here's one take on a Bloody Mary...

Before mixing the above ingredients, run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass, then dip it in salt. I used fancy pink himalayan salt, but you can use seasoned salt or just table salt. Fill the glass with ice and add vodka and tomato juice. Squeeze about half a lime in there too. Add worchestire and hot sauce. Stir it up and top with salt and pepper. Here's my favorite part, the garnish. Celery is a must, but I love it when a Bloody Mary is practically served with a salad. Pickled asparagus and olives are delicious, but pepperoncini and cornichons are yummy too. 

To make the jalapeno vodka, add two sliced jalapenos to a quart of vodka. Let sit in a dark cool place for about 24 hours, give or take depending on how spicy you want it. Strain vodka through a coffee filter before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...