Thursday, December 15, 2011

drink it: eggnog (not the gross kind)

I've never really been a fan of eggnog. It's just too thick and creamy, and it kinda grosses me out. Even the store bought stuff with cooked eggs has a weird texture for me. Not that I have a serious problem with consuming raw eggs. I'll eat cookie dough given the opportunity, but drinking them, hmmm, not so much. I decided to try to make an eggnog this year that I would actually enjoy. And, oh have I succeeded! It's rich in flavor, but not too heavy. Tomorrow night I'll be enjoying this concoction with friends as we view some stately Christmas trees.



What you'll need for a batch of six servings...
3 eggs
3 c of milk (I like nonfat)
1/3 c of sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t ground nutmeg
2 2'' orange zest
1 c of rum

In a sauce pan over medium heat combine all ingredients except for the rum. Whisk them up. Once you've got an even texture, continue to stir gently. You want this mixture to get hot, but you absolutely, positively, don't want it to boil, or even simmer for that matter. Otherwise you'll have sugary scrambled eggnog. After about 5-7 minutes of stirring and heating, pour the mixture into a bowl. Cover and let it cool completely in your fridge. Once it's cooled (after a couple of hours) remove the orange peel, stir in the rum and serve. Optional idea... I strained the eggnog after it cooled because there was a little film on the surface, then added the rum. But this isn't necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...