Monday, January 23, 2012

{new!} martha monday: candied grapefruit

I'm debuting a new weekly post today! I hope you enjoy it as much as me. My lovely mother was kind enough to give me a subscription to Martha Stewart Living. There are always a ton of projects in there that I want to try but never seem to find the time. So I dreamed up Martha Mondays to give me a little encouragement to try out all the fabulous ideas presented in the mag. And maybe you'll be inspired too.

In this month's issue there was a recipe for candied grapefruit that was later used for dipping in chocolate fondue. Um, yum. I didn't get as far as the fondue, but I did make these little candy treats. Normally I would be intimidated, but really this was so easy. It took a few hours to make, but I only had to spend about 20 minutes in the kitchen. The rest of the time, I just left the citrus alone. The gist of the recipe is to simmer grapefruit peel in sugar water for an hour and a half, let them cool for an hour, let them drain for 30 minutes (I used a colander instead of a wire rack), then dip them in sugar. You can get the full recipe here. I only altered it slightly, by adding some lemon peel too, dipping in raspberry sugar in addition to regular sugar (also compliments of my lovely mother), and omitting step 2. These are yummy to snack on by themselves, but I finely chopped a handful and added to scones for brunch yesterday. And bonus! This makes an amazing grapefruit simple syrup. Bet you can't guess what I'm going to do with that!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...