Monday, May 7, 2012

martha monday: citrus meringue cookies

According to Martha, these should be called Meringue Swirls, but as you can see these have a much stronger blob quality, then a sweeping swirl. I learned a lesson the hard way while making these. Never attempt meringue on a humid day. The recipe says that after 7 minutes in the mixer on medium the meringue should be ready. Well after 15 minutes on medium and another 12 on high, I began wondering if the humidity might be affecting my poor meringue mixture. It's not like this is the first time I've attempted meringue either. Another lesson I learned during this baking adventure is to double check that you have all your ingredients before starting. These little guys are supposed to have beautiful swaths of color running through them. But to my surprise, apparently I don't have orange or yellow food coloring. I tried mixing orange, but it turned out a nasty brown. Lastly, and this was on purpose, I subbed out the vanilla bean for citrus flavoring which added a real punch of flavor with the lemon zest. With all the mishaps along the way though, these still turned out to be real tasty. When I took them out of the oven their texture was very similar to macaron shells. I just might be on something here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...