Monday, May 28, 2012

martha monday: sourdough starter

On the last page of the June issue of Living, there's an essay about one woman's mother and her sourdough starter. Not only did they make sourdough bread with the starter, but waffles too (sounds amazing!) They had kept the starter alive for about 20 years. I'm not sure mine will last this long, but I did get the notion to make my own sourdough starter. I was disappointed with the lack of sourdough starter care and feeding (yes, you feed it, like a little pet) information found on Martha, but after some research I found this wordsy site that has lots of explanations. Stay tuned to see what the gooey mess turns into. 



Within minutes of taking this photo, the starter had doubled in size and was spilling out over the edge. It was immediately transferred to large bowl to give it room to grow. I'm a little worried it will take over our entire apartment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...